Theme: Introduction to Critical Pedagogy
Questions to Ponder
- What struck you from today's vidcast or readings? Any Aha's?
- What is your definition of Critical Pedagogy? Would we want to operationalize a term like Critical Pedagogy and, if so, how would you operationalize it?
- What are oppressed groups? Does the often used term URMs (Underrepresented Minorities) mean essentially the same thing or are there subtle differences between the two?
- How does critical pedagogy differ from critical thinking?
- What are some examples of how you apply critical pedagogy in your typical classroom?
- How do we apply critical pedagogy in an online environment?
Readings, Videos, Podcasts, etc.
Minimum participation: DPL Vidcast Episode 1 with Jesse Stommel
Legos and the 4 i's of Oppression by Eliana Pipes
Fellmayer, J. (2018 October 11). Disruptive Pedagogy and the Practice of Freedom [Online Article]. Hybrid Pedagogy.
Hypothes.is Article: Mehta, R., & Aguilera, E. (2020). A critical approach to humanizing pedagogies in online teaching and learning. The International Journal of Information and Learning Technology, 37(3), 109-120. (NOTE: This article is in the google drive)
Sorensen-Unruh, C. (2019 September 4), Critical Thinking vs. Critical Pedagogy [Blog Post]. ChemEdX.
Everything after this heading constitutes HIGH participation
Extension Readings, Videos, Podcasts, etc. [THESE ARE SUPER OPTIONAL!]
The Danger of a Single Story by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
Stommel, J. (2017 June 5). If bell hooks Made an LMS: Grades, Radical Openness, and Domain of One’s Own [Blog Post).
Friere, P. (1970/2018). Pedagogy of the Oppressed (50th Anniversary Edition). Continuum.
Freire, Paulo (1973/2013). Education for Critical Consciousness. Seabury.
hooks, bell. (1994). Teaching to Transgress: Education as the Practice of Freedom. Routledge.
hooks, bell. (2003). Teaching Community: A Pedagogy of Hope. Routledge.
hooks, bell. (2009). Teaching Critical Thinking: Practical Wisdom. Routledge.
Giroux, Henry A. (1988). Teachers as Intellectuals: Toward a Critical Pedagogy of Learning. Bergin Garvey.
Go to Day 2
Go to the Tour (Day 0)