Theme: Social Justice, Decolonization, and Equity in Online Learning Spaces
Questions to Ponder
- What struck you from today's vidcast or readings? Any Aha's?
- How do we integrate social justice and equity into everything that we do or assess in our classrooms?
- What larger classroom techniques (including student agency, building community, assessment, and evaluation) can we use to emphasize social justice and equity in our classrooms?
- What smaller classroom techniques can we use to emphasize social justice and equity in our classrooms?
- How do we deal thoughtfully and compassionately with "problem" students - those students who show passive-aggressive, argumentative, or trolling type behaviors?
Readings, Videos, Podcasts, etc.
Minimum participation: DPL Vidcast Episode 3 with Maha Bali
Teaching as an act of social justice and equity with Bryan Dewsbury (Teaching in Higher Ed Podcast hosted by Bonni Stachowiak, Episode 215)
Gordon, S. R., Elmore-Sander, P., & Gordon, D. R. (2017). Everyday practices of social justice: Examples and suggestions for administrators and practitioners in higher education. Journal of Critical Thought and Praxis, 6(1), 68-83.
Everything after this heading constitutes HIGH participation
Resources to Explore
Sherri Spelic - Bending the Arc: A Social Justice Newsletter for Educators
Equity Toolkit (Colorado Department of Higher Education)
ACE Framework (OPEN CoLab)
Extension Readings, Videos, Podcasts, etc. [THESE ARE SUPER OPTIONAL!]
Maha Bali Keynote: Centering Critical Care During Crises (OLC Innovate 2020 Virtual Conference)
Hodgkinson-Williams, C. A., & Trotter, H. (2018). A social justice framework for understanding open educational resources and practices in the Global South. Journal of Learning for Development - JL4D, 5(3), 204-224.
Montelongo, R., & Eaton, P. W. (2019). Online learning for social justice and inclusion: The role of technological tools in graduate student learning. The International Journal of Information and Learning Technology, 37(1/2), 33-45. (NOTE: This article is in the google drive)
Go to the Tour (Day 0)